Thursday, November 22, 2007

Kids And Music

I wrote thye book Daddyhood which is about life with my two boys. There's a chapter in it titled Teen Culture that lists the problems with children today. And one of the problems is the music they listen to. It's all about violence and rape and drugs. Rap music and hip-hop degrade women. All they sing about is how much money they made and the drugs they do and the way they treat women.

I live near Durham, NC the home of Piedmont Blues. That's right, we have our own kind of blues music in NC. Piedmont blues is where beach music came from (East coast beach music, not west coast). And that's what my son listens to. I'm raising him on good music. I'm not letting him listen to rap, hip-hop or watch MTV. He sleeps to jazz and he likes blues.

What are your children listening to. Do you have any idea? You need to keep up with what they're listening to and what their friends are listening to also. It's the only way we're going to raise our children right. We can't count on our government to do anything. They're only looking out for themselves. So let's loo out for ourselves and our children.

No comments: